I was contacted by a friend's coworker who wanted his old guitar transformed into an art piece. I was so excited to accept and start the project. I couldn't sleep all night because I was imagining the possibilities and the potential difficulties that could arise. When he came to drop off the guitar, I invited him to look through my studio and he pulled out existing pieces that he liked. We discussed a few options regarding designs and finishes. In the end, he chose the palette and resin finish and let me come up with the design. I began by removing the strings, sanding the top, and taping everything except the body. I applied a thin layer of watered down gesso. Next I poured the background colors using the fluid acrylic flip cup technique. I used golden fluid acrylics in copper, teal, turquoise, prussian blue, and violet. When the paint was about 50% dry I removed the tape to clean up any drips that snuck under the tape. I allowed the painting to dry for 48 hours. Once the background was dry, I used Windex wipes to gently clean the surface and remove the silicone that rose to the top. 24 hours later I began to paint the octopus design. I started by applying a gesso underpainting. I used thin fluid acrylics to paint the octopus. I allowed that layer to dry for 24 hours. I painted small details with Posca markers. Lastly, I used Washi tape to prep for the resin application. I used ArtResin Epoxy resin. I stayed with the guitar the entire day while the resin cured to monitor and manage drips and unevenness. 48 hours later the guitar was ready for new strings! After inspecting it carefully I did find a small dimple in the resin. I used a variety of sandpapers from 600-3500 grit to even it out. Then I used toothpaste to polish it. Tomorrow I will use a car wax for the last polish before the customer picks it up. I hope he loves it as much as I loved painting it, I can't wait to do another one!